Saturday 17 July 2010

WHEELBUILDING - AN ART

My front wheel, sadly not yet built. Laced in a 3x pattern, complete with brass spoke washers (which are worth the extra effort!) only to find the spokes supplied are a few millimetres too long. I have spoken to the bike shop, and they will need to order new spokes at the correct length...

Bugger.

I had hoped to spend some time this weekend building and truing both wheels, but it is not to be. I have tried a 3x lace pattern and a 4x lace pattern, but the supplied spokes are too short for 4x, which I would actually prefer. I may try the 290mm spokes I took from the old rims, just for exercise. I have tried 2 different methods of lacing - Gerd Schraner's and Roger Musson's, and prefer the latter for ease of application, though it only applies to a 3x lace.
Gerd's method can easily be adapted to 2x, 3x and 4x.

Reading wheelbuilding discussion groups is an enlightenment! The word "anal" comes to mind frequently. Each and every theory has an equal and opposite counterpart, and there are certainly no "definitive" answers. No shortage of people demanding them though!

Now, I need to measure my rims and hubs and do a wheel spoke calculation. I may be gone some time!

No comments: