Monday 9 April 2012

(wo)man and machine

Giving some thought to long distance cycling, which is best done on a long bike ride. It may be stating the glaringly obvious, but the key factor is comfort, in every respect. Any tiny amount of discomfort is going to become disproportionately magnified with each passing mile, be it an inner-thigh chafe or a humble hunger pang.

I get pain in my knees. I fell off my bike a couple of months ago and landed heavily on my left knee. Stupidly, I didn't get it looked at immediately, and it doesn't seem to be getting any better. Thankfully, it's not constant pain, and can be "ridden around", but I am going to get it "looked at" before undertaking any more long rides.

I consider myself lucky that that's the only discomfort I've noticed (though maybe it got so bad that it's eclipsed the rest!)

So, what makes a cyclist comfortable?

The Bike: This has to be the main consideration. If (wo)man and machine are to exist in perfect harmony, then the machine needs to be as near perfect as can be. I've ridden good and bad bikes, and it's not an easy call. It's certainly not a case of just spending loads of money, though if it's spent correctly, it will certainly help!

"Money cannot buy you happiness, but it can buy you a bike, which is the next best thing."

 My current bike is completely hand built by me, from the ground up, wheels included. Every nut and bolt has been put there by me, every bearing has been greased by me. Every component has been chosen by me, and a lifetime of experience has informed those choices. You might look at my bike and think I've done it wrong - why would I put Mountain bike gearing on a road bike, for instance, and the answer is because I built the bike for me, not for you. If I was building a bike for you, it would be to your specifications, not mine. If I felt you could improve something by taking a less obvious route I'd certainly make the suggestion, but the choice would ultimately be your own.
How do you know when a bike is "right" for you?
Whichever cycling forum you go onto, every question you ask will bring forth a million answers, all of them definitive, all of them gleaned from years of experience. It is truly bewildering!
Basically, your bike needs to fit you. The frame has to be the right size and shape, the seat adjusted to the right height and angle, and the gears to do what you need them to do - to get you up those hills! However, just sitting on a bike in Halfords doesn't tell you much. Nor does going to a much more expensive bike shop with a "fitting stand", frankly. There's no real substitute for getting out there and riding your bike to see if it fits. Saddle adjustment can take months! A coupleof millimetres back or forward on the seatpost can make all the difference between a comfy ride and raging sciatica. It really is that critical. You can make adjustments to your reach by moving handlebars up and down and back and forth, but the distance and between saddle and pedal can only be altered by moving the saddle, the pedals stay where they are.

"The bicycle is the only machine which is powered by the passenger."

Clothing: Cycling clothing is notoriously uncool. And expensive. You pay a fortune to look stupid! However, when you're zipping past on your bike, how long does anyone get to gawp at you? Again, the amount of good and bad cycling clobber out there is astonishing when you start to look into it. You soon find out from riding which clothes are Ok and which are not. Your most comfortable pair of jeans suddenly becomes very restrictive when you're trying to get on and off your bike, let alone spin the pedals. That sweatshirt will become unbearably hot at the first incline. 
The basics are this:
you're going to sweat, so fabrics which "wick" sweat away from your body are best.
A few thin layers are better than one thick layer.
Stretchy clothing (like lycra) is easier to move around in, honestly!
Keep your fingers and toes warm - your toes especially will soon become numb in cold weather, because they're not doing anything, and they're exposed to chilly winds. 
There probably is breathable, waterproof kit out there that does work, but I've yet to find it. I prefer instead to wear Windproof stuff, which is breathable, and usually showerproof. If it rains hard, you're going to get wet whatever clothes you're wearing, so my philosophy is to wear stuff that dries off quickly. If it's windproof it will keep the wind chill at bay while it does so.

"The bicycle will accomplish more for women's sensible dress than all the reform movements which have ever been waged."

 

No comments: