Monday 25 April 2011

Be Here Now

A working day today for me, very busy due to the bank holiday.

Out of the house at 6.30, and a cool and easy ride got me to work at 7.45, going a longish way around (but by far the easiest).

I had in mind yesterday's posts as I cycled, particularly going up Whitehill.

I found writing them quite difficult, and not very rewarding. I felt I'd missed a lot out.

I hit on the key to it on my way home, though. It had been a warm sunny day, which I'd spent working outside all day. I was very tired - could very easily have gone to sleep for a couple of hours after lunch!

At hometime I eased myself carefully out of the park onto the road, prepared to take it easy. My knees ached like they wouldn't stand for much in the way of pressure. It was a warm afternoon but there was a perfect breeze cooling things down to just the right heat.

The first half-mile or so on the road is gently downhill, so you can reach a quick zip with no effort at all, and once I was moving, I decided that I may as well "put the hammer down". I took the same route I'd taken this morning - mainly level for the first two miles, then a long fast downhill followed by a very long and winding gentle uphill through mixed countryside, then down Whitehill to the trunk road for the 5 mile grind home.

From the gates of Bluestone to The First and Last (would be my local pub if I ever drank there) took 45 minutes. If I'm counting, I usually count from inside the grounds right to my back door, but both the start and the finish have tricky bits like cattle grids and level crossings. From work to home had a previous best time of 58 minutes, and that was straight along the main road. 13 miles in 45 minutes I'm very happy with.

It wasn't much of an effort either.

I still had time to think and pray and stuff.

And I realised why I find it hard to write about.

It's because the key to it is that old chestnut, "living in the moment" "the eternal now" etc etc.

The post about climbing the hill - stare at a space just in front of you, don't look up... it's meditation on the here and the now. Don't waste energy wishing you were at the top of the hill, accept where you are. Don't look at and be daunted by the mountain, focus on each turn of the pedals. That's what I do, without even thinking about it, really.

Admittedly, it is much easier to do this on a sun dappled stretch of single-track lane snaking through the woodlands of Pembrokeshire than it would be weaving through the stinking angry traffic of any urban landscape, but the principle is the same.

Wild garlic is everywhere in the hedgerows. The lanes of Pembrokeshire smell like a french restaurant.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This reminds me of my hiking days when i was in the Scouts. We'd walk 25 miles per day over two days, carrying 25lbs of equipment (tent, sleeping bags, food, cooker, etc) every weekend for six months of the year, in training for the yearly competition - the Cheshire Hike. This was when i was aged 11-15. It's an amazing state of "meditation" that one can reach when all you're doing is thinking of the next step for ten hours a day, trying not to think of the pain and tiredness and the distance that is still to be travelled... I miss those days.