Monday 25 April 2011

Start from where you are...

not where you'd like to be.

I first encountered this phrase when I took part in the "Expert Patient Program" (EPP) - a self-help group for people with long term illnesses or disabilities.

I enrolled on it while I was recovering from a double hernia operation a few years ago.

Just so you know, I've had a lot of abdominal surgery over the past 16 years, for one reason and another. Most of my abdomen is now scar tissue, which makes exercising my "core" muscles nigh on impossible, hence my big belly. I try to lose weight, to "firm up", but all pretty much in vain. I don't like it, but it's something I have to live with, and yes, I do try and pretend it's not there.

That's where I am. Where are you?

You have to be realistic. You have to be honest. Brutally. You have to accept where you are, especially if it's not where you want to be, because it's the only way you'll ever get anywhere.

I've come a long way, baby.

No comments: