Saturday 2 June 2012

400km of audacity

I'm not sure what possessed me to do it, but I've just this minute registered for a 400km audax event, which is around 240 miles in old money.

This is twice as far as I've ever ridden in one go.

Still, it's three weeks away.

Frankly, I don't know what I'm doing, I'm just winging it.

I've recently spent lots more money than I should have on stuff for my bike; new bars, bar tape (leather, cost 3 times more than the bars themselves) a "map trap" for route sheets, new saddle bag, new shoes etc etc, so maybe this is a way of justifying the expense?

Actually, the shoes were a necessity. My old Bontrager shoes have had three years of hard wear. The inner material around the heel had long since perished and my heels were constantly rubbing against shards of bare plastic - they actually wore holes in my sealskinz socks! I now have a rather nice pair of North Wave Gore Tex touring shoes with Vibram soles - cycling shoes I can actually walk comfortably in! They're also plenty wide enough for my feet, which I've always had trouble with in the past, but best of all, they were in a sale! I was already looking at some non-goretex touring shoes which were reasonably priced, and these were only a little extra.

The ride I've entered is the Avalon Sunrise. Who could resist with such a lovely name?

I'll let you know how I get on.

No comments: