Wednesday 2 January 2013

2nd Jan 2013

No miles yet in my Mileater Diary. I had hoped, weather permitting, that I might be able to cycle to my Hand Class and physiotherapy session, but nothing was quite ready, neither me nor the bike, and the weather was most definitely not permitting. The bus journeys couldn't have contrasted more sharply. I'd got up late and had to scurry to the bus stop, unable to find my ipod. The bus was early, not many people on it, and everyone quiet as mice. Three people from my church said hello. Coming back, there was a large and noisy contingent of very drunk people, one with a dog who slept very soundly the whole journey while his dog wandered loose, one on crutches who kept dropping them and hassling people to pick them up for him, and a woman with a child who sat with her back to him the whole time. In the end I got off about three miles from home and walked in the drizzle for the peace, the fresh air and the exercise. I phoned ahead and my daughter walked up and met me on the bridge.

The physio and hand class were good. I can feel things starting to improve. I hurt somewhat now, but not as much as when I started 4 weeks ago. My therapist is confident that if I take the right measures, cycling should be fine. Lower pressure in the tyres to soak up vibration, take it easy up the hills, go easy round corners.

I confess, I'm trying not to be, but I'm nervous about getting out there. I suspect my bike is too.

No comments: