Saturday 12 January 2013

Wednesday 9th Jan 2013, first ride of the year.

I'd made all the preparations for a typically rainy day the night before. Hunted around the house for kit that had not been worn in 3 months. Where are my overshoes; where's my helmet cover? We turned the house upside down and inside out looking for the latter; if I hadn't found it, I'd have called it off and taken the bus. (it was in the net bag on the front of my pannier the whole time - I didn't see it because it was inside out - it was white, but I was looking for something black with reflective patches.)

Here's the full list of my requirements before I would be happy to ride:

  • SPD shoes
  • "Sealskinz" waterproof socks
  • Leggings
  • Waterproof overtrousers
  • Merino jersey
  • Long sleeved base layer
  • Waterproof Jacket
  • Winter gloves
  • Wrist support
  • Padded mitts
  • Neck buff
  • Prescription sports goggles
  • Peaked cap
  • Helmet
  • Waterproof helmet cover
  • Rack bag
  • Pump
  • CO2 pump and cartridges
  • Spare Tube
  • Puncture kit
  • Multitool
  • Adjustable spanner
  • Water bottles

I was to ride to my "hand class", a weekly physiotherapy group, at Withybush hospital, Haverfordwest, a very easy ride of about 12 miles, almost all of it completely traffic free. On an ordinary day, it would take me an hour. I allowed double that, preferring to arrive early rather than late. As it turned out, I only had 10 minutes to spare.

It was a glorious morning, hardly a cloud in the sky. No need for the waterproof layers then. It had been raining overnight, then there had been a hard frost. The road was fine to ride on, but down on the Brunel Trail, things were a little different. I was more aware than ever that the bloom of algae which lines the edges of the tarmac along the wooded sections was now spreading over the entire path, and it was attention to this which slowed me down considerably. I'd thought to take my camera along for something to do if my mind needed a distraction, but I ended up using far too much concentration on actually riding, and looking down at the floor, so I didn't really see much worth stopping for. 

Hand class was good, I was pleased I'd made the effort, and hearing the reactions of the "injured wrist brigade" was encouragement enough. I rewarded myself with a good old "full english" at a cafe in town before heading back.

I almost came of on my way home. Going through a tricky gate amid a very wooded section, I clipped the gatepost with my bars and felt the back wheel slide away, but managed to get both feet down so only the bike went down. I bruised my shoulder and abdomen, but managed to stay upright. I was a little rattled by it, and walked for a bit before remounting.

My wrist functioned OK. I can steer and brake. It does hurt though, and it feels like my wrist, which struggles to bend backwards, was turning inwards to compensate for the lack of movement, which causes pain. I was very aware of how much I actually lean on my hands, though how easy this will be to correct, time will tell.

My arse got proper sore. I hadn't expected that, wearing padded leggings! I'll wear double thickness next time. 25 miles in nice bright sunlight, but it was a painfully slow time. I was very hesitant on corners and descents. Getting on and off was OK, but starting was a bit dodgy. You don't realise how much you pull on the bars at times, until you physically can't do it.

I'm pleased the weather was so good, as it's been lousy ever since. Looking forward to repeating the ride next week, though I may take the back road rather than the trail.

 

No comments: