Thursday 7 July 2011

Changing of the seasons

Today was my last day of Cycle Safety training, for this academic year.

Tomorrow we have the annual meeting at County Hall to decide who's doing what where next year.

I was hoping that by now I'd have landed either the Bike It Officer's job or the Project manager's job with Pedal Power, but not having been granted an interview for either, it was obviously not meant to be. Shucks.

I'm not too bothered (though I would like to know why) - I'm quite happy as I am. I can pick up some extra hours at Bluestone over the summer, and I can go back to teaching cycle safety next year. I can also get some much needed time to myself and time with my family. Win win win.

I've had solid work through may, June and July. Some weeks I've been commuting 25 miles a day for the whole 5 days - that's 125 miles a week just travelling to and from work. It makes the nearer jobs seem much much easier! In the midst of all that I threw in the Tour of Pembrokeshire, 60 miles of abject misery in relentless rain and driving wind.

Looking back on my first year as a cycle safety trainer - I love it. Deeply.

I have worked in 5 very different schools.

2 very small village schools.

1 very large school with a very wide mix of pupils.

2 schools with "bad" reputations (for different reasons).

I can't say I've found any of it "easy".

I have found it all deeply satisfying, very enjoyable and ultimately rewarding.

I now wish to train to teach National Standards, and extend my school base. Bring it on!

No comments: