Thursday 7 July 2011

A friend in need...

My dear friend Carole Edrich is following in my tyre tracks (in reverse, if it's possible to follow someone backwards) and cycling from London to Pembrokeshire (and on via the ferry from here to Ireland) in a couple of days. I made the journey from here to London a couple of years ago, not long after Carole had been diagnosed with cancer. I cycled there to take part in the Breakthrough sponsored ride from London to Cambridge. A 290 mile ride to get to the start of a 50 miler... nice warmup!

Carole is doing to raise money for Cyclists Fighting Cancer. I have advised on the route, and how far I think she should try and ride, and will hopefully get to ride some of the welsh stages with her, work and weather permitting.

Please consider sponsoring Carole; her justgiving page is here. "Every Little Helps" may be the nauseating tagline of one of the most unethical retailers on the planet, but every little does indeed help causes like this. You all know how passionate I am about cycling, not so many of you will know that I lost my Dad to cancer when I was 12 years old. There was no cure back then. It's a different story these days, thankfully, and it's charities like this which are at the forefront of providing care for cancer sufferers. They really do need every penny they can get. I have worked for a charity which provides adapted cycles for disabled riders, and know only too well how expensive some of these machines can be. I also know what joy and independence they can bring, and that is priceless.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PRETTY PLEASE, dig deep in your pockets, piggy banks, search down the back of the settee... any penny you can spare will be very well used.

 

No comments: