Wednesday 13 July 2011

Crumbly decals

Even before I'd started work on building the bike, before I'd even raised a hex key with determination, I noticed some of the rather lovely decals had started to flake off, like skin from a sunburned shoulder. I could have cried.

In the grand scheme of things, what's a decal? It won't stop the bike from working! However, I'd like the world to know that I'm riding a Surly, and I'd like my Surly to look its best.

Only one decal has crumbled - the left-hand (and therefore less visible clean side) "Cross Check" on the crossbar (I assume that crossbars became toptubes when they ceased to be horizontal. My Surly has a horizontal toptube, which makes it a crossbar), but it fell off with such ease that I do fear for the rest of them, particularly the lovely little letters going down the back of each seatstay and down each fork.

I sent an email to Surly in America via the website on Monday evening. (I really didn't think it would be good to contact Tredz, my retailer, about such a minor niggle, as it clearly wasn't their fault)

I received a reply this very day, 48 hours later, asking for a shipping address to send replacement decals, and offering apologies. 

Surly, I am impressed!

No comments: