Tuesday 12 February 2008

NEWS AT LAST

Today I finally received a letter from the sister of a close friend who passed away last summer. I went to the funeral in Leicester, which meant spending three days there, and actually had quite a nice time.
At the wake there was talk of a memorial gig for Jim, which I knew I would not be attending. It was all a bit of an emotional roller-coaster, and I felt quite isolated out here when it was all over.
I can appreciate the difficulty she had, with so much to do besides grieving, but I was waiting to hear what had been decided about Jim's collection of cameras, as I had volunteered to take them if no-one in the family wanted to do so. As time went on I convinced myself that someone somewhere had raised an objection (why on earth would they?), but didn't feel able to ask about them. I had already asked Ted if he'd be happy to bring them over here in the event, and he agreed readily.
I had sent and received a few supportive texts around New Year and the time of the gig, and she had said she would write.
Coincidentally (or was it?) Ted and I were just opening a dialogue on him coming to Pembrokeshire when the letter arrived, saying that the cameras were being looked after until a transportation solution could be sought (and that I could have one of his shirts if I wanted). The letter was quite emotional, and contained a poem written by Jim's father - very moving indeed.
She and her partner are currently holidaying in the USA, and who can blame them. This gives me time to compose a reply for their return.
It's all good, in a way.

No comments: