Thursday 8 November 2007

THURSDAYS

Thursdays are definitely my favourite day of the week. It's all downhill from here. More than half of the week is over and the only thing standing between me and the weekend is Friday, not that I'm wishing my time away - it looks like I'll be going back to work next week, and these few days left are precious indeed. Cycling Weekly appears on a Thursday, and as of now I have a meditation class to attend in Tenby every Thursday evening, and I relish the challenge of cycling there and back, even in this autumnal weather. It's not raining today but it is generally overcast and dull, and it looks quite windy, but I have yet to venture out into it. If i tire myself out on the way there, there is a train at 19:45 I can catch, but I'd rather not as it's generally populated with drunken teenagers whose only joy in life seems to be to piss me off, so it's best avoided, as is any form of public transport in these parts.
I'm thinking about hosting a writers' workshop sometime soon, and am gathering ideas for it - my general premise is that writing is improved by reducing the amount of thought that goes into it, so it will consist of some exercises in spontaneous writing with strict time limits, and I'm trying at the moment to frame an activity in which the writer has to stop following a "normal" train of thought - maybe something like you write a sentence, and then all the papers get passed on to the next person, and so on until the circle is complete, to demonstrate how something can create itself and you don't necessarily need to exercise control to achieve something.

edit:
14:00 Shortly after I posted this, literally within a matter of minutes, it started raining - with a VENGEANCE! I'm now in a dilemma as to whether to make the journey or not - I'm not bothered about getting wet, but there's no point going to a meditation class if I'm going to be wet and uncomfortable, as it will just be a distraction.

2 comments:

Ted said...

Dunno if this would be of any use, but a mate is doing this OU course in creative writing at the mo, and said he was really enjoying it.

http://www3.open.ac.uk/courses/bin/p12.dll?C01A215

Best of luck with it anyway, and keep up the blogging too. They're great to look back though in months and years to come, to see just what you were doing and thinking, and a much more objective guide than memories i've found (hmmm, not always such a good thing though)...

forgottenpoet said...

Thanks for the linky, but the question at the moment is do I want to carry on writing? I certainly don't want to continue performing at this stage, as I find it quite disturbing. Finding the requisite time/space to write is nigh on impossible with 4 kids milling round and playing nutball, so taking on something like this would be counterproductive for now, but it is a possible future venture.