Tuesday 22 January 2008

THE WEEKEND ENDS HERE

A busy time these past few days - yesterday I was due to meet author Rob Penn off the train in Haverfordwest and have a short cycle ride with him, then go to the Memory Clinic appointmet at 2pm.
I got up around 9 to fairly dismal weather - cold and rainy, and considered getting the bus and forgetting the ride, but an optimistic text from Rob spurred me on and I managed to force myself to cycle. By the time I set off the sky had cleared slightly and looked promising, though crossing the Cleddau Bridge was a white-knuckle affair with a strong crosswind howling through the railings.
Made it to the station in good time and met up with Rob and Gary, who is a ranger I'd not met previously from the North of the county, and rode along with them for half an hour or so along the Celtic Trail, before turning back for my appointment.
The Memory Clinic was nothing like I expected.
I was asked to describe my problems in my own words and didn't do very well, really.
I was then given a physical examination which included testing reflexes, listening to back and chest, and testing my eyes. The conclusion was that I do not have dementia or Alzheimers, but the doctor is also taking blood samples and arranging for a brain scan.
His conclusion was that my forgetfulness is probably a combination of my current stress and depression, and a side-effect of my medication, which seems logical to me.
I'm loathe to mess around with medication which works, as it's taken so long to find the right balance, but I could do with a clearer mind than the one I have.
I missed out on a heavy downpour while I was at the hospital, and the weather remained dry for my homeward journey, where I encountered Gary once more on his way back to North Pembrokeshire. I called in at Mike's Bikes in Haverfordwest before setting off, to buy some Sealskinz waterproof socks (for £25) and to give him my contact details as Liaison Ranger.
Coming back I was very tired and the journey was a struggle, but I made it, and don't seem to have too many aches and pains today, which is encouraging. I will have a few more rides of varying intensity and see how I go, them I may resume my sessions at the gym, which were curtailed by my doctor warning me off strenuous exercise and referring me back to my surgeon, which has a waiting list of six months. I do not want to wait that long before exercising as I'll be clinically obese by then.

No comments: