Sunday 27 January 2008

WEEKEND GOODNESS

Saturday, 26th January - would have been my Dad's 92nd birthday, had he not died at the age of 56... this year also my inaugural ride as Sustrans Liaison Ranger for Pembrokeshire, and now officially Carmarthenshire. I did entertain thoughts of making an excuse and not attending, but it was a weak and temporary thought, and didn't last long. Friday night was full of house music from next door - they did try to keep it within an acceptable level, and I did manage to fall asleep while it was still going on (about 1.30am), so no complaint this time, which means there's a good chance it will happen again, doubtlessly a little louder next time.
Saturday morning I was up around 7am, getting ready to start the ride to Narberth with a couple of Rangers at 8.30 prompt. I struggled greatly with any incline, but level ground was OK, though by the time we reached Narberth (20 miles in 90 minutes) I was pretty worn out, and had almost convinced myself that I would sit out the ride to Amroth and back, though after a coffee in town, and a restful half-hour at the venue chatting with fellow rangers, I was ready to roll again. The beauty of the Ranger rides is the complete spectrum of abilities, and everyone is mindful of everyone else, so I was happy enough to loiter at the back and walk the hills. I managed to get a lift back - I knew by the time we had reached the venue again that I had reached my limit, and no amount of resting would enable me to ride back home. I had planned on getting the train, but the offer of a lift was thankfully forthcoming.
We had a positive and constructive meeting, and I made some new acquaintances, also consolidating some old ones.
Upon getting home I was exhausted, but in bed I was restless and uncomfortable and slept fitfully, having chosen to not take any medication.
Today I feel fully rested, and no aches and pains of note, so my intention now is to get back to some gentle working out at the gymn again, and to cancel the referral to the surgeon.
Medicinally I am currently up to 10mg Cipralex, and 50mg Amitriptylene, which I didn't take last night, so I shall take one tonight.
I am still taking merbentyl, which is another suspect in the memory tests, so once I am off Amitriptylene I will consider either changing that or doing without.
Omeprazole is really the only one I would not consider changing, as it does such an excellent job of controlling stomach acid.

No comments: