Wednesday 2 January 2008

THE DAY AFTER

The day after New Year's Day. My little brother's birthday, often overlooked because of its proximity to the big festivals. It's difficult to know what to do for the best as he is in mid-separation at the moment, refusing to give us an alternative address, only contactable by text.
I've decided he's getting an address book with all the family addresses in, so he can stop asking me every few months.
In among all the festive days we have had recently there are a couple of frighteningly deep depressions. New Year's Eve was the most notable, when I retired to bed before 9pm, but didn't get to sleep till after 4am. There was a fair amount of noise from next-but-ones' "party" - I use quotations because it didn't sound like they were particularly enjoying themselves, but then, it never does. They always sound angry. The father had been forced into doing the rounds during the day to let us all know that they'd be providing a noisy evening, and that, if we wanted to, we were welcome to "have a look" at their midnight firework display. At least this year they don't seem to have given their kids wildly inappropriate presents such as mini motorbikes, as they did a couple of years ago.
The day after Boxing Day I had to call the police to sort out my bassplaying neighbour on the other side, an unwelcome resurgence of an age old problem. On Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and Boxing Day he decided he would play his bass in the living room rather than the well-soundproofed room his Dad has made for him in their shed, no doubt to let us all hear his (lack of) virtuosity. I complained each time, and each time but the last it was turned down. The last time, he was home alone, and very resentful of my intrusion into his stoned little world, refusing to turn it down, so I warned him that if he continued I'd report it, which I did. Having had a three year long battle to get some peace from this little shit, this was a most unwelcome return to form, but it seems the heavy-handed approach has done the trick, as I've heard nothing since. I haven't seen his dad around at all, and am wondering if he's in jail or been murdered (no joke).
Also, after work on Monday I intended going to the gym, which turned out to be closed. I really need to get stuck into a harsh fitness regime, and the longer I leave it the harder it gets (ooer missus!)

No comments: