Saturday 8 December 2007

DOWN DEEP DARKNESS

I've been in the grip of a dreadfully deep depression since last Thursday when I got home from the meditation session. I got home around 8:45 and as usual the place was in darkness, everyone gone to bed, except Mavis who was doing her usual pathetic blubbering routine at her bedroom door. I was cold wet and hungry after coming in from a very stormy night, and I just flew into an unaccountable rage which I didn't feel inclined to subdue. I do feel very taken for granted a lot of the time, mainly because I'm stuck in a deadend detestable job wageslaving while my wife does her own thing, quite often at the expense of the housework.
(edit: I have omitted to mention the picket line on Thursday morning - wild winds and cold drizzle not withstanding I was out there at 7:30am, as was Rob, who gave me a lift up there, Fat Brian, Sian, some geezer I don't know, and MK himself, who blanked me the whole time. Maybe that was the start of the darkness, who knows?)
On Friday I took the train to Swansea for the Sustrans Office Party, and I'm glad I did. The train ride was predictably poor, I arrived unfashionably late to be told I'd missed the speeches but to get stuck in to the food, which I duly did. There were a lot of suits around, and it seemed everyone had someone with whom to be deep in important conversation, as is usually the case at these functions, and I really had to fight the urge to just slide on out the door again. Soon enough the suits left and the few of us remaining soon found a good relevance to each other - a fellow ranger from across the border in Carmarthen, our Ranger Organiser and a couple of the office workers. Maybe after all I have actually managed to do some networking. I willingly let people come up to me and ask who I am and what I do, but I never do it to them - I just get the feeling that I'm going to be looked at rather like the Queen might regard someone who'd just asked her what she did for a living.
I came straight home afterwards replete with a bottle of wine, couple of t-shirts and a handful of flyers to distribute, which the family took out into the streets of Pembroke Dock to distribute this morning. I'm glad I didn't have to do it.
Today I've been feeling physically drained, with much aching in the knees, which wore off eventually.

No comments: